Loan application information
You’ll need to provide the following information when you apply for a mortgage.
- Full name, birth date, Social Security number and phone number.
- Marital Status,the number and ages of your children.
- Two years of residence history : Rent payments or mortgage, insurance and tax records for all of your properties.
- Two years of employment history, including company names, addresses, phone numbers and your title(s).
- Two years of income history, including any commission, bonus or self-employed income.
- Checking, savings, investment and retirement account balances.
- Confirmation of bankruptcies or foreclosures within the past seven years, lawsuits you’re party to,or lons you co-signed.
- Confirmation if you’re borrowing part of your down payment.
Employment and income
- Income from rental properties.
- Pay stubs for at least 30 days.
- W2 forms for all jobs you worked in the past two years.
- Personal federal tax returns for the past two years.
- If self-employed or greater than 20 percent owner is a company, business federal tax returns for the past two years and a year-to-date profit and loss statement for the business.
- Divorce decree and receipt (or payment) schedule of alimony and/or child support for at least three more years from the time of loan closing.
- Signed verification from donor and recipient that gift funds aren’t loan.
Required loan documentation
This is a partial list of documents you can expect a lender to ask for.
Credit and finance
- Written and/or verbal authorization for your lender to run your credit report.
- Full documentation and letters of explanation for any derogatory information on your credit report.
- Discharge papers for any bankruptcies in the past seven years.
- Last two months statements for all checking, savings investment and retirement accounts, including a paper trail for large deposits and withdrawals.
- If you’re a renter: 12 months of canceled rent checks or bank statements to show on-time payments.
- If you’re keeping and renting out your existing home: a lease agreement and proof you’ve deposited the first month’s rent.
- If you’re selling your existing home before closing on the new home: a listing agreement for the existing home and proof that it closed.